Frequently asked questions
Below are a few of our most frequently asked questions. If you do not find what you are looking for, please feel free to contact us.
There is currently only one university in South Africa that runs a Master’s degree in neuropsychology, leading to registration as a neuropsychologist: the University of Cape Town (UCT). For more information and the entrance requirements into the course, please contact UCT directly.
If you are a psychologist but do not meet the criteria to register as a neuropsychologist, do not be discouraged. The HPCSA indicated at a meeting at the PsySSA conference in 2018 that clinical, counselling and educational psychologists will still be allowed to work in the field of neuropsychology, even if they are not registered as “neuropsychologists”. For current certainty on this matter, please contact the HPCSA.
Neuropsychological assessments are needed if a brain-based impairment or disturbance in thinking or behaviour is suspected, such as with:
- Traumatic brain injury (e.g. concussion, coma and open head wounds)
- Memory difficulties with unknown cause
- Brain tumours
- Dementing conditions (e.g. Alzheimer’s disease)
- Neuropsychiatric disorders
- Seizure disorders (epilepsy)
- Effects of toxic chemicals or chronic substance abuse
- Movements disorders
- Forensic cases (e.g. if a person needs a curator)
A neuropsychological assessment can:
- Confirm or clarify a diagnosis
- Quantify cognitive and behavioural strengths and weaknesses to guide rehabilitation and vocational or educational needs
- Pick up changes in functioning since prior assessments
- Help guide the person to others that can help with treatment and/or rehabilitation and/or management of quality of life issue
Go to the tab “Find a Neuropsychologist” from the home page of this website to find a psychologist practicing in the field of neuropsychology in your area.
- Free CPD-accredited online Mini Courses.
- Discounted fees on selected workshops.
- Access to the Articles of Interest where information about the field of neuropsychology, as it applies in South Africa, is made concrete and easy to apply.
- Access to Tutorial videos and slides to try to simplify neuropsychological information and concepts to aid the learning of neuropsychology.
- Access to Research Updates.
- Regular reminders of upcoming training opportunities both internationally (online) and nationally.
- Regular reminders of current information that psychologists practicing in the field of neuropsychology in South African need to be aware of.
At the cost of R134-55 a month, upgrade your status to NeuropsychologySA Subscriber, and enjoy the benefits listed above.
Join Our Network
Want to join our network? Fill out our member application form.