- Start Date:
- Location: Eastern Cape, Free State, Gauteng, International, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West, Northern Cape, Western Cape
FOUNDATIONS OF MEDICO-LEGAL PRACTICE
The South African Medico-Legal Association and UCT Law@Work, in collaboration with Function Venues, are pleased to announce a training course in medico-legal practice that is set to commence in January 2018.
This first of the intended certificated courses will combine the benefits of highly-experienced lecturers with open discussion and diverse input. It is intended for professionals in all fields who engage in, or wish to engage in, medico-legal practice in South Africa. The scope relates to medico-legal disputes in personal injury matters as well as clinical negligence matters, and to resolution of medico-legal disputes through litigation and mediation.
Foundations of Medico-Legal Practice will be presented over six months, with sessions taking place on eleven Saturdays, followed by an optional exam in July 2018.
The six subjects that will be covered are:
- South African law applicable to personal injury litigation
- Ethical conduct in medico-legal practice
- Psychology and communication in medico-legal practice
- Logical reasoning
- Medical science applicable to medico-legal practice
- Other sciences applicable to medico-legal practice
The early bird discount has been extended to 30 November if the course is paid for in full. The option of payment via installments is available by special concession of UCT. This will be a R2000.00 deposit on registration and then the balance is to be paid off from January to June 2018. Certificates will only be issued once full payment has been received. Should you wish to take up this installment option please contact Donnaleen Coue at UCT Law@Work (email@example.com).
- Start Date:
- Location: Western Cape
Psycho-legal Interest Group Half-Day Conference : What the IOP doing medico-legal work needs to know about brain injury
An IOP doing medico-legal work is often presented with a traumatically brain injured (TBI) client who may look the same as he/she did before the injury, may sound the same and may even test the same, but is clearly not the same as he/she was before the injury.
This half-day conference aims to cover what the IOP needs to know about
– how brain injury occurs;
– what this means from an anatomical point of view;
– what the IOP, as a layman in brain injury terms, may be presented with;
– what brain damage translates into in terms of test performance;
– what neuropsychological test results mean;
– what the IOP needs to know about brain injury in order to write relevant reports about
The event is not restricted to IOPs, it is open to anyone who is interested in learning more about brain injury and its manifestations with particular reference to what this means for training and employment.
Please click for details: https://www.siopsa.org.za/events/view/203
- Start Date:
- Location: Gauteng
BASIC CNS PHARMACOLOGY (PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY) AND ETHICS WORKSHOP (FOR ALL PSYCHOLOGISTS)
Dr Michael Knott B. Pharm, MSc (Pharmacy) dist, PhD (Rhodes), MPS (SA)
This workshop can assist psychologists and doctors working together; by assisting psychologists to learn more about CNS medicines and ethics. This one day intensive professional training workshop covers the following topics:
1) Anxiolytic / Hypnotic Drugs and CNS Stimulants
2) Antidepressants, Antipsychotics and Opioids
3) Social Engineering, Medical Ethics, Confidentiality and Consent
Morning tea and coffee, as well as lunch, together with extensive notes are included in the workshop fee.
Workshop Fees: Registration: R 1400-00 all inclusive (strictly closing on 8th November 2017)
Booking confirmed once payment has been received.
Please note that this one day workshop is accredited for 6 general and 6 ethics MDB CEU points (HPCSA) and will run on Saturday from 08:00 – 17:00.
Please contact Dr Knott should you require further information.
Please see attachment for registration form and banking details:
Dr Michael Knott (PhD), Southernwood Pharmacy, East London Tel: 043 7225905 | Fax: 043 7225906 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: MDB CEU points and not PSB CEU points will be issued. According to the HPCSA, “Psychology practitioners can obtain CEU’s for attending accredited activities of any of the 12 Professional Boards of the HPCSA provided that the activity is relevant to his/her scope of practice.” I (Dr Knott) have been in contact with the HPCSA who have assured me that psychologists can claim CEU points for this workshop.
- Start Date: November 11, 2017
- Location: Western Cape
- Start Date: March 7, 2018
- Location: KwaZulu-Natal
In line with the theme of bridging science and humanity, the 2018 INS mid-year meeting in Prague will focus on the following topics:
- The practice of neuropsychology in an increasingly globalized and diverse world.
- The neuroscience of key human processes, such as morality, ethics, or political and economic decision making.
- The application of science to humane and holistic patient care.
Please visit the website for more information.
- Start Date: July 18, 2018
- Location: International